Wednesday, December 8, 2010

Crazy for Nostalgia or Just Plain Crazy?

When my sisters and I were born, my mom made each of us a cross-stitch Christmas banner which I absolutely adored.  It wasn't Christmas until my banner was hung on the wall.

SIDEBAR:  I always knew mine because it was the only one with all the animals on it.  Why is this sidebar important?  Because it explains a small thing about myself.  When I was little I was the youngest in the neighborhood and nobody ever wanted to play with me.  So when I would tell my mom, "Mommy, no one will pay wif me," she would lovingly respond that I should go play with Snoball, our miniature poodle.  I think that is how I became such an animal lover.

My beautiful Christmas banner made with love by my Mommy.


Now that I am a mommy, I wanted to do something like this for Jack.   After  searching numerous craft stores and websites, we finally found them!  I was so incredibly excited that I bought three kits.  A Christmas tree, an Advent Calendar, and beach-themed ornaments.  My mom insisted that they were very easy and fun to do.  I figured it would be a great project for me since I don't get to exert my creativity side these days like I did daily in my classroom.

What was I thinking?
Within minutes of opening the package, I had a strong feeling that I might have made a HUGE mistake.  First of all, I absolutely despise reading directions (I know, shameful as a teacher); I give all directions to Surya to follow and assemble.  However, he made it very clear to me that he would have nothing to do with this project.  This kit has 8 PAGES of directions and diagrams!  Ughhhh!  My worst nightmare!  To make matters worse, the last time I actually stitched anything was in Girl Scouts in the 4th grade!  I finished reading the first page and an hour later I realized those were just the general instructions!  Oi vey!  Oh well, I did manage to get Step 1 completed, which is simply separating all the thread and cutting them into 18" strips (something I can't yet figure out why they didn't just come sized that way).  Oh boy, I have a lot to learn.  A phone call to my mom later, she encouraged me not to give up and said she would help me with this massive project.  Maybe I will have one kit finished by Jack's 18th birthday and he can take it with him to college!  

Step 1 finished...100 more to go! :(

And this is the one I decided to start with...seriously?!  I have to make all those little pieces!





No comments:

Post a Comment