Monday, November 22, 2010

I Wanna Be Big!!

When Jack was born, his pediatrician and my OBGYN said that he came out wanting to be a toddler.  I have been in denial (why does my baby want to grow up so quickly?), but after grabbing my fork with red velvet bundt cake and shoving it into his own mouth, I gave some thought to starting him on rice cereal early.  This was not his first incident of grabbing food and salivating while intensely watching the grown folk eat.  Oh no.  Mandi, Anayah's mom, allowed him to take a french fry from her hand to see what he would do with it, and straight into his mouth it went.  Then we thought about how all 4 month olds have an oral fixation, so she handed him a plastic spoon...he wasn't fooled, he held onto it for a few minutes and he kept looking at us as if to say,   "Hey, there's no food on this spoon!"  So, after keeping a log of how much he actually eats in a 24 hour period, I was shocked to see that he is eating about 40 ounces a day!  Yet, at each feeding, he acts as though he hasn't eaten for days!  My mom suggested we try giving him some rice cereal before he goes to bed to see if that satisfies his hunger.  Here is the video (for your amusement) of Jack's first attempt at eating food from a spoon.  We were actually surprised (I don't know why) that he did as well as he did!  We'll see if this helps to satisfy his insatiable appetite!


No comments:

Post a Comment